3.4.16

Letter to my old friend Dan

Dan,

I know it has been years since we talked for the last time. Truth is: I don't really know why I am writing this letter addressed to you right now. I think I have reached a moment in my life which confessing to the psychiatric is just not useful anymore. Whereas with you, although we have only shared a slight minimal fraction of our life-times, I feel there is this huge potential for revelation, for reaching the core of things and uncover the hidden truth that lies in the bottom of my soul and that for some mysterious reason I can't seem to reach on my own. Those three weeks we spent together were like a breath of revelation to me: I saw you not only as a mere teacher, but most of all as a mentor. Someone I could look up to and guide myself; not a figure I would try to mirror in a way that "your life is the life I want to have, and the pathways you've chosen are the ones I will choose to myself". But more as a amazing, real person, very tall indeed, and also extremely wise, I knew I could ask questions and you would give me a honest, matterful answer. I trusted your opinion and the weight of it, and I knew I could consider and reflect upon anything you said. Yes, I might reject it, and yes, I might think over it and get to the conclusion that I was going to do different, but still. Being 17 and having someone I admire giving insightful inputs into my life was unique and so important.
So when I confessed to you that I was in a crossroad, that I loved movies and cinema and the arts but that after studying for a year under full scholarship I wanted to give up and go on studying politics, I felt the anvil over my shoulders melting into sweet lather and covering me in smoothness.  I was feeling utterly uncomfortable with that entire dilemma.  I felt I was doing things backwards. I knew a thousand characters that would like to be in my position. Boys and girls that went on to study politics because that's what their parents dreamed of and pushed them to do, while their unrealized dreams of becoming writers, artists, musicians laid back stored in the basement of their life pursuing prestigious, classical, money-making careers. So, me, the privileged girl who got the chance of chasing her teenage dream of becoming a story-writer and graced by the opportunity to dedicate two and a half years of her life studying that in a rich, well known school, with all paid - me wanting to give this all up in exchange for a doubtful course on international politics, most probably incredibly boring, in a room crowded with other sixty (!) students many of them much more intelligent and acquainted with the problems of the world, well,  I thought I just didn't have the right to have this doubt. But you thought it was legit. And more than that, you, yourself a former art's student, you shared with me my fears and frustrated expectations with all this entertainment world of the creative industry. You understood that I was in search of more and that I wanted to become someone smarter, someone that knew deep intellectual things, and you told me: you go for it, girly gal. Drop the arts, do your studies in politics, no one is in the right to judge you.
So for the past five years, every moment I started doubting my decision, I would try to perform this mental exercise of looking back in that rainy night, your blue eyes sitting across mine in the dark wet garden, and the sensation I had an entire new world was opening up in front of me: a world of possibilities, of various non-taken roads, a universe of complex and curvy trajectories. As if, from now on, there wouldn't be such straightforward path for doing things as I was used to or had been taught to desire. I would have to craft these roads with my own bare hands, I would have to imagine the future ahead and create it, instead of following the warned out easy already open pathways from those that did things before me. And I was - and still am - fucking terrified.
Now, a month after completing 23, I am looking back and looking ahead and thinking: it is time to take a drift to the left and start again on a new road. I want to be a writer, Dan. I have always wanted to be, I guess, but I wanted to write about things that matter and back then I thought I had nothing to say. I didn't have the content and I didn't know where to search for it, but now I do. Not all of it, but a small portion and, most important, I think I've got the keys to open the doors to new knowledge when I want and need it. It took me five years of boring and sometimes very harsh lectures and discussions to learn how to make these keys and now that I've got them I want to do something fucking useful and inspirational with them. I don't want to be just another person seating behind a computer screen writing formal response emails to investors around the world. Or the posh academic that spends its life - and the people's money - researching and writing bullshit no one cares about and no one will ever read. I want the eye-to-eye contact; and the possibility of putting down words that will reach people, that will matter to them. I just don't know exactly how to do it. Sometimes I think I should move to an English-speaking country and learn once and for all to write well in this imperialistic language, so no one will be able to criticize my weird, unprofessional, non-native Portuguese-touched sentences. Others, I think the best would be to stay here around people that I already know a bit, playing in the safe net, maybe trying to go back to the old school that once gave me a scholarship and ask them: hey, what you fellows think about sponsoring a masters for me? They will most probably say no and then I would have to work full-time in am unrelated office job in order to pay for a night course on creative writing.  It is not the success I aim, but some kind of self-acknowledgment, the reassurance that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. Do you get it? Do you think it would be too much to ask for a scholarship to study in the UK? Do you think I could get it? What do you think I would have to do in order to gain it? Maybe if I published a short story in an international acclaimed magazine I could have a shot. But which one (story and magazine)?  And do you think I could get it? I mean, do you really think they would publish the story of an average Brazilian girl that doesn't even know how to correctly use her ons and ins and ats? I don't think so, but truth is, my insecurity's voice usually speaks very loud, so I never know if it is her who is speaking or if it is my good sense (just to make a point: I have used on purpose the "her" on this last sentence. This is what I call a non-native appropriation of English language to make the text more stylish. Please allow me to do so).
Thank you, Dan, thank you very much once again for your time and consideration. Thank you for reading and replying to my letters all these years. And I hope to see you again and talk to you again one day.
I will be eagerly waiting for your response - just like you thought me to end letters in that Tuesday afternoon class. Be well, my dear.
Lots of hugs,
Luci.


Nenhum comentário:

Licença Creative Commons
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Atribuição-Uso não-comercial-Vedada a criação de obras derivadas 2.5 Brasil License.